
In 2009 I’m filled with hope optimism. As corny as I know that sounds. But I’m not intending to use the branded words that I’m sure some believe Obama coined. Instead, I feel drawn to contribute to my community and to make a difference in someone’s life. With this, I want to throw my hat in the ring on a couple of different fronts. So we can call them New Years Resolutions or simply goals, but here they are.
One: I feel compelled to start by making a difference in the lives of domestic violence victims. There are so many resources that are lacking and the education that is given to this epidemic is grossly inadequate. Therefore, I’m proposing to start a non-profit that would benefit victims by starting a mentor program.
The non-profit would be called Just In TIME (Today Is My Empowerment). In addition, there will be a website that is secure specifically for domestic violence victims and will house a minimal staff.
Participants will be paired with a more seasoned domestic violence survivor in their area so the new victim would have an additional resource other than their counselor to call. The mentee would also be indoctrinated into a new community, one that understands their needs. The mentee would learn safe spaces and be accountable to their mentor. This last part would be especially important because statistically speaking; it takes victims on average 12 attempts to leave their abuser.
I would like this non-profit to work in conjunction with on non-profits in the area that specialize in domestic violence advocacy. I believe that a unified front to change legislation, education, and training on the issue will also be important for domestic violence to no longer be an epidemic that hides in the shadows.
Two: The book that you’ve all heard me talk about, Survivor, I am picking out publishers to push this book. I want to tell my story as a domestic violence survivor. I know that it helped me to learn other people’s stories and I want to also educate with the book about the realities victims of domestic violence face. Such as, I wanted to answer questions regarding why I stayed? Why I returned? Didn’t I respect myself? Etc.
Three: I’m job searching now that I have finished my Masters in Public Administration and I’m seeking employment in the public sphere. I’m looking for a job where I can contribute my skills and experience in communication, 2D Design, an interest in politics, and being an advocate for the underprivileged. (Sounds easy doesn’t it J ) Mostly, I just want to know that I’m making a difference. Yes, I’m still an idealist at heart and I probably always will be.
Four: I have two book ideas in my head right now.
Cry For Me No More is a book about a daughter who is struggling with forgiving herself for being angry and forgiving her mother for what she feels was not loving her enough during her childhood after her mother’s untimely death from breast cancer. The story is told through flashbacks and present day settings.
In the Eyes of the Saved (still playing a little with the title) is a story about a girl who leaves her small southern town to stake her own claim and discover her own truths. Her father, a small-town southern Baptist minister and his flock are deeply disturbed and sadden by her decision to leave. However, she realized that before she was ‘saved’ the world her father and his faith presented her didn’t seem to be the whole story. And in turn, she discovers her own path through a series of experiences told from a comedic and satirical point of view.
So those are my goals for 2009. If anyone has any suggestions, please, feel free to comment back and let me know your thoughts.
One: I feel compelled to start by making a difference in the lives of domestic violence victims. There are so many resources that are lacking and the education that is given to this epidemic is grossly inadequate. Therefore, I’m proposing to start a non-profit that would benefit victims by starting a mentor program.
The non-profit would be called Just In TIME (Today Is My Empowerment). In addition, there will be a website that is secure specifically for domestic violence victims and will house a minimal staff.
Participants will be paired with a more seasoned domestic violence survivor in their area so the new victim would have an additional resource other than their counselor to call. The mentee would also be indoctrinated into a new community, one that understands their needs. The mentee would learn safe spaces and be accountable to their mentor. This last part would be especially important because statistically speaking; it takes victims on average 12 attempts to leave their abuser.
I would like this non-profit to work in conjunction with on non-profits in the area that specialize in domestic violence advocacy. I believe that a unified front to change legislation, education, and training on the issue will also be important for domestic violence to no longer be an epidemic that hides in the shadows.
Two: The book that you’ve all heard me talk about, Survivor, I am picking out publishers to push this book. I want to tell my story as a domestic violence survivor. I know that it helped me to learn other people’s stories and I want to also educate with the book about the realities victims of domestic violence face. Such as, I wanted to answer questions regarding why I stayed? Why I returned? Didn’t I respect myself? Etc.
Three: I’m job searching now that I have finished my Masters in Public Administration and I’m seeking employment in the public sphere. I’m looking for a job where I can contribute my skills and experience in communication, 2D Design, an interest in politics, and being an advocate for the underprivileged. (Sounds easy doesn’t it J ) Mostly, I just want to know that I’m making a difference. Yes, I’m still an idealist at heart and I probably always will be.
Four: I have two book ideas in my head right now.
Cry For Me No More is a book about a daughter who is struggling with forgiving herself for being angry and forgiving her mother for what she feels was not loving her enough during her childhood after her mother’s untimely death from breast cancer. The story is told through flashbacks and present day settings.
In the Eyes of the Saved (still playing a little with the title) is a story about a girl who leaves her small southern town to stake her own claim and discover her own truths. Her father, a small-town southern Baptist minister and his flock are deeply disturbed and sadden by her decision to leave. However, she realized that before she was ‘saved’ the world her father and his faith presented her didn’t seem to be the whole story. And in turn, she discovers her own path through a series of experiences told from a comedic and satirical point of view.
So those are my goals for 2009. If anyone has any suggestions, please, feel free to comment back and let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:
Ohymygoodness! You have very ambitious goals/resolutions! But if anyone can accomplish them, it's you. Look forward to reading your books! I think Michelle Obama considered putting domestic violence on her platform, so maybe there's room for opportunity with her.
Post a Comment